“Virtual Workplace - A new Norm”
“Virtual Workplace - A new Norm”
Employees are the backbone of any and every organization and recent pandemic has made us realize the fact that it is the team that takes up the organization uphill, with joint efforts. Thus, to keep the spirit moving anew concept of Virtual employee emerged, since COVID-19 limited the physical presence.
Though working remotely is a bit tedious task but advancement in technology has eased out this obstacle and has kept us sailing in this viral storm. Here everyone works from home, including top management through email, faxes, instant messaging, data and video conferencing as it implies a high degree of telecommuting as well as using remote facilities. Remote work which was earlier defined as a luxury has now become a norm worldwide.
How to manage, engage and motivate Virtual Employees
This pandemic has redefined and revolutionized the work and workplace. Teams are completely changing the way they are communicating and working. Remote work is drastically changing the way employees interact with the rest of the team and their managers. To help employees maintain their productivity levels and not feel disconnected, businesses set up additional virtual check-ins for employees with managers and introduce new tools for virtual meetings. It can be difficult to define and measure what employee engagement looks like, however we suggest certain measures to keep workforce engaged.
- Define goals for Virtual Employees – Setting up clear goals for Employees so as to measure the right metrics, engage their teams, foster accountability, and build trust and transparency.
- Virtual Communication - Regular communication with Employees should be there to discuss set targets, updates on work in progress, discussion about long term goals. We may use different channels to do so like iMessage, WhatsApp, Hangout, Zoom calls, Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Encourage Peer-to-Peer Feedback - Peer to Peer feedback allows employees to gain an understanding of their own work as well as the work of their peers. This allows employees to figure an effective way to utilize the skills of their peers and be accountable and productive not only as an individual but collectively as a team. Regular feedback also helps to understand areas which require improvement.
- Plan Face-to-Face Time - Phone calls and emails can achieve a lot but Face Time also helps. While face-to-face meeting shave their purposes, a video call can bring similar values. It will help Employees to understand their respective role in the team and organization.
- Host Virtual Meetings and Casual Hangouts - Many remote teams maintain regular communication through videocalls, instant messaging, email and web conferencing platforms. When the whole team is working, a voice or video conferencing call can go a long way to encourage group collaboration.
- Personal Connections - We have to keep in our mind that Virtual Employees are human and they have loved ones, celebrations and bad days like everyone else. As an employer, you need to recognize their strengths, weaknesses and interests to better connect with them.
- Corporate Quiz - Corporate Quiz is a best way to bring people together to share their knowledge on different topics. This will also help employees to de-stress.
- Mentorship - You may motivate and empower your Virtual Employees by providing mentorship. Take the time for your Virtual Employees to coach them the strategies to let each individual know his or her duties which in turn will help them to mentor their team.
- Share your Victories - Share the Victories or Goals achieved by a team or department, it can help to motivate easily to Virtual Team to conceptualize how their efforts contribute to a team goal. In this way sharing victories can help employees to cheer one another and engage in a friendly competition.
- Virtual Coffee Chats or Lunch Discussions – Pair with people you don’t regularly work with, for a coffee chat or for lunch. It’s the best way to build relationships with colleagues you don’t know as a person.
- Meet the Family – Arrange a group call for your Virtual Team and discuss them about their family on how are they dealing with a new routine. It will help the employees to know each other even more.